Get A Free Initial Consultation: (954) 458-8655

Last Update: 02/03/16

In this video, Alan Sackrin answers a question that he has been asked many times before by clients and visitors to this site. If you have questions after watching the video, Alan is available to talk with you now and answer your questions free of charge:

Q: Who is held liable if I was injured after tripping and falling over a cracked sidewalk?

A: The governmental entity that has a responsibility to maintain that sidewalk could be responsible for tripping and falling over a cracked sidewalk. You’d have to prove that, that governmental entity knew or should have known of the condition. Many times the cracks just by their very existence show that they’ve been there for a very long period of time. Often times cities or municipalities will have ordinances requiring that the adjoining landowner make the repairs, but the supreme has ruled that those sidewalks are really government property and the government property has the obligation to maintain those sidewalks. Ordinarily, it is the governmental entity and they very rarely admit that they’re at fault. You have to prove that they knew or should have known upon reasonable inspection of the sidewalks, that in fact there was this danger.



Do you have questions or comments? Then please feel free to send Alan an email or call him now at (954) 458-8655.



If you found this information helpful, please share this article and bookmark it for your future reference.

(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)