Get A Free Initial Consultation: (954) 458-8655

In this video, Alan Sackrin answers a question that he has been asked many times before by clients and visitors to this site. If you have questions after watching the video, Alan is available to talk with you now and answer your questions free of charge:

Q: What type of damages can I recover in a defamation claim?

A: In a defamation claim, you could recover several types of damages, but you must prove them. Probably the most common types of damages is emotional distress damages. What I mean by that is if the defamatory statements brought you into ill repute and were intended to humiliate you, and you were in fact humiliated and sustained significant emotional trauma, then you can recover for those damages. You’d have to testify and you’d have to bring others to testify as to how the defamatory statements affected you. If you needed to see a psychiatrist or psychologist, you could recover those expense associated with the defamatory statements. Additionally, if those statements were made for the purpose of trying to have you lose income, meaning if you’re a professional and somebody intentionally says something false about you, and you in fact do lose business, you would have to prove those losses, but you could recover them if proven.



Do you have questions or comments? Then please feel free to send Alan an email or call him now at (954) 458-8655.



If you found this information helpful, please share this article and bookmark it for your future reference.
(Visited 7 times, 1 visits today)